Friday, December 19, 2014

Storyboards! Monster High - Freaky Fusion.

STORYBOARDS! Monster High "Freaky Fusion" 
When we were working on this film, I really wanted to work on this sequence and greedily, took it for myself, to see if I could storyboard a romantic scene.

Here's the set-up: So Frankie is all upset about her heritage and wondering whether she is just a piece of parts  - since she is really just made up of different human's body parts... does she have a soul?

In the script: (a strong script, btw) the things written were the dialogue, and the acts of Neighthan approaching, Frankie grabbing Neighthan, (but not the pop-off hand bit - I added that myself), and then Frankie electrocuting Neighthan. From there, it is my job as a storyboard artist to bring this scene to life so that it is just not a bunch of 'talking heads'

INTERPRETING THE SCRIPT: here's how I decided to visually depict the words  on the page.
I set up the super-wide shot to show Frankie really small in frame - really show that she is feeling 'small'

  Neighthan, the 'love interest' approaches her and tries to strike up a conversation with her - as 'love interests' should do.

Frankie isn't even thinking of romance at this moment, so I had her physically leave the side 2 shot and create physical distance from Neithan... with their dialogue continuing over the extreme wide-low-angle shot of the set - for even more 'distance'   She does come back to continue her conversation and at this point I also wanted to reiterate the romantic possibilities of the moment by surrounding her in 'Twilight-esque' string lights and candles


She moves back to Neithan and when she actually refers to herself as 'parts' I had her look at her hand and I made it  'pop off' and start to stroke Neithan's hair.  This was for a reason. I wanted to make her hand the 'catalyst' to spark the romance - to awaken Frankie to this person in front of her, and get away from from her introspection.



 She again breaks free, separating herself to continue her self-exploration, and when they sit up against the wall, I had Frankie slam her 'hand' down onto Neithan's hand. This again would give her 'hand' an opportunity to awaken Frankie to the romance... she finally notices what is happening, and her sparks fly... electrocuting Neithan in the process.

She goes to see if he is alright, and he awakens to finish their conversation...


 we finish on a shot of Frankie and then the wider shot of the set, including a 'heart shaped' whirlpool of lava..

On the very last shot of Frankie, I had her eye direction look down and to her left. In doing research, this eye position usually means having an internal dialogue. I closed out the scene, 'bookmarking it' the same way I started it, with a wide shot of the environment and bats wiping frame to black. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment